Friday, January 29, 2010

Up & Running

Woo.  My computer is getting fixed.  I am borrowing a friends laptop.  What would you do, if I sang out of tune/I will try not to sing out of key. 

the salad I'm eating right now:

rounds of pink grapefruit
rounds of roasted beets
arugula

each layer seasoned with olive oil, squeeze of lemon to taste, salt & pepper to taste (this is when you use fleur de sel


sprinkle with goat cheese

sprinkle with whatever else your heart desires
Your heart should desire things like nuts, fancypants or plain, dried fruits, other fresh fruit, herbs, crushed toasted fennel seeds, crushed toasted flax seeds for that matter (woo!  omega-3)!

If you don't have arugula, use any leafy green.  I like them on the bitter side (shocking) a la frisée, raddichio, endive, but conversely the subtle poetry of butter lettuce, mizuna, lamb's lettuce work just as well. 

The goat cheese can be any sort of cheese but I like the creamy tangy thing, plus my people are not good with dairy.  Blue cheese, ricotta salata, anything crumbly and creamy and tangy.

Feel free to add an avocado, thin-sliced red onion, olives, hearts of palm, proscuitto, shaved parmesan, jumbo lump crab meat, a seared scallop (a dollop of créme fraiche, perhaps caviar to replace the cheese element), a drizzle of walnut, hazelnut, truffle oil...  it can be as fancy or as rustic as you like it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment